A selection of features and articles I’ve written, though often the headlines were by other people (please tell Twitter that).
- The great ad-space race: the history of space advertising
People have been trying to put logos on the moon for a long time.
- Why don’t E-FITs look like actual people?
As if crime’s not scary enough.
- Forgotten genius: the man who made a working VR machine in 1957
Wind, scent, vibration – Morton Heilig’s Sensorama had everything but success.
- Why we might miss out if tech moved any faster
Some ideas just don’t need improving on.
- 7 ‘big things’ in smartphones that never lived up to the hype
People don’t want transparent phones after all.
- They were supposed to be the future – so why haven’t modular phones taken off?
A little bit of Moto in my life, a little bit of LG by my side…
- iNspired: the origin stories of some of our favourite gadgets
Did you know the Wii once had a touchscreen?
- The connected kitchen is a half-baked pie
“Your oven subscription has expired. Pay $49.99 to continue cooking”
For more, see my Techradar author page.
- What to do when you’ve dropped your phone down the loo
From the ‘Sort Your Life Out’ series
- 100 Women: Desperate not to have children
As a woman, there are four little words I can say that invite more condescension than almost any others: “I don’t want children.”
- Sorry, Google memo man: women were in tech long before you
James Damore’s controversial manifesto says women are genetically unsuited to tech roles. Doesn’t he know they were the original computer programmers?
- Your online identity is precious. Here’s how to protect it
People who would never leave their front door unlocked can be dangerously lax about their online security. To be safe, follow these rules
- Being a mother is irrelevant to a woman’s ability to do the (top) job
As the furore over Andrea Leadsom’s comments about Theresa May shows, the idea that child-free women are either sad or selfish is still widespread
For more, see my Guardian author page.
- Turning digital memories into physical keepsakes
- Are you ready for a robot in the house?
- Spring clean your tech life
- Your new year fitness revolution
- Make the most of your music
- 10 new travel gadgets
- Samsung Galaxy S9’s AR Emojis Are a Step Forward for Diversity in Tech
Emojis that can be customised to better represent you are a step in the right direction
- 5 Things We Learnt About ProPilot Park From Backseat Driving the New Nissan Leaf
The 2018 Nissan Leaf’s optional upgrade is like a ghost valet for your car
- Reminder: Blue Monday isn’t real
“It’s like adding the colour red to 34mph to 50GB and expecting to get a recipe for beans”
- 5 Ways I Use Tech To Manage My Anxiety
“Yes, your straighteners are still off”
- One Of Amazon Alexa’s Top 5 Skills Isn’t For Humans
Oh cats, what won’t you take from us?
For more, see my Gizmodo author page.
- Anti-pet landlords fill up animal shelters and make renters miserable
Every day, healthy animals are put to sleep because they can’t find a home, but it’s not because no one wants them.
- #MWCToo: This year’s Mobile World Congress was the most female-friendly yet
No booth babes, anywhere
- Amazon Echo Show review
Alexa fans will appreciate the extra functionality a screen brings to the Echo
- 8 awkward tech situations we really need a word for
Tech moves quickly, language not so much
- OnePlus 5T review
A solid all-rounder let down by its lacklustre camera
- 7 tech products women actually want
From VR-proof makeup to a phone that doesn’t do phone calls
For more, see my author page on The Inquirer.
- Samsung Bixby and 7 more tech logos that look like something else
Warning: cannot be unseen (especially the Tesla one)
- 5 jobs introverts can’t wait to see replaced by robots
Please don’t talk to me please don’t talk to… fine thanks, how are you?
- 8 Amazon Echo tips I learnt from using Alexa every day
Even when she’s being awkward
For more, see my author page on V3.
- “There’s not a shadow of regret”: one woman’s diary of her struggle to become voluntarily infertile aged 30
I can’t have kids. But that hasn’t always been the case – in fact, it’s only been a fortnight.
- We licked some cats with a silicone tongue, here’s how it went
Firebox’s £25 Licki is… an experience
- Knomo Grosvenor Place review: the shoulder bag for tech fans with too many things
A little red, a little leather and a lot of pockets
- Fixing my finances with chatbots
Money sense for millennials
- Hey look, it’s yet another tech advert with a half-dressed woman for no reason at all
Why does this keep happening?
- 3 new videogames we’ve fallen in love with
Theme Hospital is back
- 3 non-obvious ways you can use smart tech to keep warmer this winter
Bit nippy, innit?
- My top 10 apps that busy business people will actually use
How have you managed without these?
For more (seriously?!), see my Gadgette author page.
If you’d like to see examples of a specific genre, drop me a line and I’ll send some.