A selection of features and articles I’ve written, though often the headlines were by other people (please tell Twitter that).
- The great ad-space race: the history of space advertising
People have been trying to put logos on the moon for a long time.
- Why don’t E-FITs look like actual people?
As if crime’s not scary enough.
- Forgotten genius: the man who made a working VR machine in 1957
Wind, scent, vibration – Morton Heilig’s Sensorama had everything but success.
- Why we might miss out if tech moved any faster
Some ideas just don’t need improving on.
- 7 ‘big things’ in smartphones that never lived up to the hype
People don’t want transparent phones after all.
- They were supposed to be the future – so why haven’t modular phones taken off?
A little bit of Moto in my life, a little bit of LG by my side…
- iNspired: the origin stories of some of our favourite gadgets
Did you know the Wii once had a touchscreen?
- The connected kitchen is a half-baked pie
“Your oven subscription has expired. Pay $49.99 to continue cooking”
For more, see my Techradar author page.
- Portable projectors and virtual assistants: six of the best gadgets to help you connect with loved ones this Christmas
- Electronic Rubik’s Cubes and smart photo frames: 12 great tech gifts for Christmas
- What I’m learning from being trapped in quarantine with my ex-fiance
- Sorry, Google memo man: women were in tech long before you
- Your online identity is precious. Here’s how to protect it
- Being a mother is irrelevant to a woman’s ability to do the (top) job
For more, see my Guardian author page.
- Why Samsung’s folding smartphone might prove more than just a fad
With the Galaxy Fold, Samsung has become the first major manufacturer to launch a phone with a folding screen – it might just be useful enough to tempt consumers
- Opinion: “Sexist advertising for the Escobar phone is everything tech wishes it could still get away with”
- Opinion: “Shocking that high-profile tech organisations are still making gendered blunders”
- Opinion: “Energizer’s remarkable folding phone has flown almost entirely under the radar”
If you’d like to see examples of a specific genre, drop me a line and I’ll send some.