A quick rundown of what I’ve done with my time on this planet.
Journalism, copywriting, editing, advertising, social media strategy and creative.
Awards and nominations
- Inspiring Fifty 2017 – nominated (not yet announced)
- The Rosemary Goodchild Award for sexual health journalism 2016 – nominated
- London Press Club Awards Digital Journalist of the Year 2016 – nominated
- Online Media Awards Best Specialist Site for Journalism (for Gadgette) – nominated
- The Drum/SheSays Woman of the Year 2015 – winner
- Social Buzz Awards Best Use of UGC (for copywriting on #BarbourSummer) – commended
- Campaign Big Awards Best Use of Technology (for copywriting on O2 Priority NYE) – winner
- Cannes Young Lions – 3x shortlisted
Jobs and projects
- Founder, Gadgette. May 2015 – present.
I started Gadgette after becoming frustrated with the lack of positive, female-focused tech media. The online magazine provides an inspiring, unpatronising space for female techies and geeks to read and write about the things they love.
The site quickly rose to popularity, broke several big stories and launched the careers of several new female tech journalists, actively increasing diversity and representation in tech media.
- Editor, ShinyShiny. 2014-2015.
ShinyShiny covers tech news, reviews, apps, fashion and fitness for a predominantly female audience.
As Editor, I managed the writing team; created, edited and controlled content and content strategy; forged creative and commercial relationships and organised the inaugural ShinyShiny Awards.
- Advertising Copywriter. 2007-2014.
I started my writing career as the voice of dozens of household brands. I wrote everything from print ads, billboards and radio scripts to online and social media content.
Roles included managing social media for Wall’s ice cream, Lipton, Honda UK and the Harry Potter videogames; writing social copy for KitKat, Milky Way, Carlsberg, Chivas Regal, Jose Cuervo and many more; creating brand guidelines for JustGiving; working on phone launches for O2, EE, Apple and BlackBerry; and writing as household names including Pepsi, Adidas, Barbour, the FT, the Huffington Post and Unilever.
For more detail, see my LinkedIn profile.
- 100 Coolest Women in Tech, Business Insider
- EggAid. My campaign to reclaim the egg symbol from Twitter trolls raised £800 for anti-bullying charity Cybersmile.
- Skydive. I faced my biggest fear and jumped out of a plane in memory of my little brother, raising £4000 for the Bliss baby charity.